Oct 7, 2011

Back in the saddle

My poor neglected sewing machine is back out of the closet, this time to make 180+ little coin purses as favors for my cousin's wedding in November. I'm looking at it as a bit of a boot camp, though - to get the creative juices flowing again so I can get my poor neglected etsy shop back online. 
Step 1 (my favorite) - going out to source supplies. I had always been dejected when shopping for fabric and notions in Singapore. The main reason-- it's EXPENSIVE! We live in the Orchard Road area, where, well, everything is expensive. The couple of quilting & craft shops I've been to aren't even worth mentioning because fabric is $20/yard and seemingly sourced from the U.S. and the U.K. anyway. So imagine how excited I was to find this place, just a 10 minute cab ride away!
I only had an hour and a half, so I barely made it through half of the first floor, which was notions galore.
I just peeked into this shop - everything you see here are just packets of thousands and thousands of buttons. Yep. Buttons.
The zipper wall at one of the shops:
Thread and ribbons:
Of course, I'm just kicking myself for only having found this place 2 years after we moved to Singapore, but yeesh, better late than never. Now the trick is to resist the temptation to stock up...

Textile Center
200 Jalan Sultan
Singapore 199018